Sunday 23 November 2014

Crochet Spoke Square

I have been playing about with crochet squares this week.  I'll explain why another time but for now I decided I would like to design a few myself so thought I would start with the basics.

I want to work on 4" squares.  Using a dk cotton I started by crocheting a circle of 12 trebles increasing on each round until I got to 4 rounds (48sts).

Now came the tricky bit! Squaring the circle! I divided my 48 stitches into 4 and set about making some corners.  You can see in the picture below how I placed the markers at equal intervals around the circle before I started the squaring.


It's not been blocked yet but after a combination of dc, htr and tr here is my basic square to work from.


It feels a little as though I'm reinventing the wheel here as you can look at numerous sites and easily find a pattern to create this basic square.  Having said that, working it out for yourself gives you a deeper understanding of the construction behind such a simple square and I can now go ahead and deconstruct/reconstruct bits to create my own designs.  In theory that is! We'll see what happens in practice as time goes on!!

Ok, basic square made.  Whilst at Sharpham last weekend I made a quick sketch of some of the plaster work on the ceiling (I had these squares in mind you see!).


When I got home I set about creating!!!! Now the observant amongst you will notice there are 8 'spokes' to this design.  Well let's just say it took me quite a while to work out that it is impossible to make 8 'spokes' in a circle of 48sts!  (If anyone knows of a way, please share it with us!).  I settled on 12 'spokes' eventually and here is the result.


Not the best photo I'm afraid as I am using up yarn from my stash.  It actually looks a lot better in real life but I think you can see the effect and if I used contrasting colours it would be more striking.  I'll show you the scrummy colours I have chosen for my project in another post when I have finished designing my squares.

All that's needed now is to work out how to add the bobbly bits to the design, but I think this could be a simple square design on it's own.  It's not for the feint hearted mind you, it took a bit of working out how to work the two colours in without colour drag and how to carry them along seamlessly behind the work.  Oh did I forget to take a photo of the back!!!! Whatever was I thinking!

I'm off over to Handmade Monday now to see what you have all been up to this week and I'm also linking up with Hookin on Hump Day but I thought I would leave you with this picture of the pretty pink sky from our lounge window late this afternoon.






12 comments:

  1. Your explanation the other day all makes sense now! I like the spokes design and love that you were inspired by the ceiling, of all things! :D x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have great admiration for anyone who can crochet, I've tried and tred but just can't get the hang of it. It's a lovely pattern and I love the pink 'stripes'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it took a bit of working out despite it being so simple!

      Delete
  3. Amazing, i love your spoke square.
    Isn't it so difficult to work out getting a pattern into a square! I tried last year to put a start in a square, and i know the maths did my head in!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks interesting, I can imagine this "spokes" patten in all sorts of colour combinations. Grey and a really bright neon would be lovely, or white with a bright turquoise - ooo, or black with a variety of bright coloured spokes in each square.
    I remember reading in a Una Stubbs embroidery book (I think I still have it somewhere) that the back of your work is no body elses business and if they try to look you should slap their hand away. I think this can apply here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll cling on to that thought Julia! :) Unfortunately I come from the era of "it should look as good on the back as the front" mantra! But ... the mould can be broken!

      Delete
  5. Squaring the circle? - I bow down to your amazing crochet skills! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm crochet skills? That's debatable! :D But thank you for your faith :)

      Delete
  6. Your squacle or is that a cirare looks fab (sorry just couldn't help myself). Oh I love the colours you used for the final design. It reminds me of some swirly caramel sweets I would get as a child. Great shot of the pink sky, what beautiful colours. Can't wait to see more of your crochet squares.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Waaay too technical for me, but it looks great. You are so talented x

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate all the lovely comments you leave so thank you for taking precious time to do this.